Washington, District Of Columbia

Sony Qualia 006,

if you own one of these high end units you need to read the following link.

The Qualia 006 has a failing Optical Block, and when it has to be replaced it will cost you around $5000

to have it replaced if it’s out of warranty, this set has a 3yr standard warranty.

This is a must read to all owners of this unit.

Thanks.

Last month, I purchased the Sony Qualia 3 year extended warranty, cost $507, and am I glad I did.

Two weeks ago, I started seeing the green blob, which is getting worse. Repair costs $5500 min. being in Santa Barbara, the closest Sony Auth. Repair is in Camarillo, but closed until June 6. Repair Company in Van Nuys refused to come, even though Sony called them for me. Easiest way to check for the problem is to turn to the memory stick mode with no stick inserted.

To top it off, I also have a 50" SXRD set with the green blob starting. This set is covered under the Sony Class Action suit which Sony lost. From what I have learned, Sony opted for a two piece OB design, which allows for contamination to enter the assembly. The fix (hopefully) is a one piece redesign. Pretty sad that SONY R&D didn't include adequate accelerated life testing. This is really costing them, not even counting the court costs. Legal costs may be even larger when other owners of other models that aren't covered get in the act. Only two Sony SXRD models are currently covered.

My advice to all Qualia owners, don't let your 3 year initial warranty run out without getting an extended warranty.

Review about: Sony Tv.

Had an Experience with Sony?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion