Sony SCD-1 $5,000.00 SACD Player DAMAGED by Sony Repair
My Latest Experience with Sony Corporation of America
Event # E58894537
Service Notification: 301547845
Order # 36065586
1. I own Sony’s Flagship SACD Player, the SCD-1, cost: $5,000.00. It should be mentioned, this player was literally the finest high end audio component the Sony Corporation ever manufactured, weighing approximately 70 lbs.
2. In November 2013, I noticed the player was not recognizing standard red book CDs some of the time, an intermittent problem.
3. I telephoned one of Sony’s repair stations here in Nashville, TN, explained my situation and the man spent 30 minutes speaking with me and said while he could possibly repair the unit, it’s a very technical component, and probably just needed an adjustment, something he did not have the tools to do, and recommended I call Sony and send to Laredo Texas for this higher level of component.
4. I called Sony’s repair number and spoke to a lady and explained that I have the SCD-1, explained I had already spoken to the local Nashville repair person, told her when I purchased the player, and she said to send to Laredo, quoted me a price of $147.00, and I immediately got the player ready for shipment.
5. As my player was in NEW, perfect, spotless condition, cosmetically as perfect as the day I purchased it, as a $5,000.00 component should be, I went overboard with my packing. I used the “original” box, which had separate compartments for the power cord, the heavy CD weight, the remote controller, everything was packed nicely in the original box. I then placed it in a third box and then suspended that box in foam peanuts, where there would be no possible way for the player to be damaged, even by the most aggressive package handler, but hey, it’s a $5,000.00 player!
6. Because the total package weighed over 80 lbs, my only alternative was FedEx or UPS, so I selected FedEx. The shipment cost me $82.00 to get the player to Sony with adequate insurance.
7. Weeks past with no communication from Sony in Laredo Texas, so I called them. I was told the player was shipped back to me a few days prior to my call. Their response, it was not repairable, as it had a bad motor and laser assembly, and after (7) years no parts for the SCD-1 are available. I immediately called other people at the facility and finally started speaking to Customer Relations, and finally National Customer Relations and they confirmed, there was no bad laser assembly or defective motor, the truth was no one at Sony even looked at the player as it was over the (7) year limit. No one ever addressed why I was told my player had a bad laser assembly and bad motor assembly. They have no parts, no remote controller, nothing for this $5,000.00 player, the literal “Flagship” of the Sony line. So, one of the first people I spoke to just invented a reason to ship the player back to me with nothing done, not even a simple diagnostic check, nothing was done at all, even with the detailed letter enclosed telling exactly what the player was doing and that it probably only required an adjustment, which I’m sure they could have done.
8. I received the player back in a single cardboard box with some expandable foam packed along the sides and the remote controller, heavy spindle weight, exposed metal prongs on the AC cord, and batteries placed on the side of the player, where they could easily move around in the box and do damage to the player, and they did, significant damage!
9. I received the player back with dents in the beautiful aluminum top towards the back and at the very front of the player. The side of the player was scratched badly by the accessory items that were not secured, but rather just placed in the box. The remote controller was literally destroyed. I IMMEDIATELY GOT ON THE PHONE AND SUBMITTED MULTIPLE PICTURES TO SONY CORPORATION, within minutes of accepting the player from the shipper. Sony was very quick to ask about damage to the box, and so I took pictures of the box, which had no damage, but I explained how much of the damage to the side of the player was done by accessories moving around in the box, and a lack of adequate packing, not to mention the box being too small for a 70 lbs $5,000.00 SACD player. There were no separate compartments for the separate pieces, just a single cardboard box was used to ship this player back to me.
10. For weeks I have now been dealing with National Customer Relations in Florida (Robert). Robert told me, because my player is over (7) years old, it has NO residual value at all, it’s worthless.
11. I explained these particular players sell on EBay frequently for $1,900.00 with small imperfections, or around $2,300.00 to $2,700.00 for one in pristine shape as my player was, before Sony damaged it. Robert’s response, EBay has nothing to do with how Sony values a product, and he reiterated, my player is over (7) years old, it has NO residual value at all.
12. I then explained to Robert, I shipped you a player with a small glitch with recognizing red book CDs, a player that needed an adjustment, in perfect, spotless physical condition, cosmetically as beautiful as the day I purchased it, and I receive it back damaged, dented, scratched badly, and with a totally destroyed remote controller, and Sony accepts no responsibility for damaging my player at the factory, then packing it poorly, not in it’s original box, which I sent it in, and was discarded by Sony.
13. Sony likes to have the customer pay an “exchange fee” if their product is not repairable by Sony, but I explained to Robert, the repair facility had no idea if my player was repairable or not, as they did not even take the time to view it. Furthermore, this is not a case where being repaired or not was even applicable, as Sony Corporation damaged my very elite, expensive SCD-1 player. I believe the damage to the top occurred at the factory, these dents came from something being dropped on the player. The scratches obviously came from the accessory items bouncing in the box and rubbing the side of the player, as evidenced by a destroyed remote controller.
14. So, at this point in time Sony Corporation refuses to compensate me in any way for damaging my SCD-1 Super Audio Player, no compensation whatsoever, as they maintain it’s over (7) years old, and has no residual value. What it’s worth to me, or should I say, what is WAS worth to me, it insignificant, they are simply NOT responsible for damaging a product I entrusted to them.
15. Robert has offered to ship me a Sony XA-5400ES SACD player IF I will pay Sony $900.00, again, an “exchange.’ Nothing is mentioned about Sony being responsible for damaging my player. I am not in a position to pay Sony an additional $900.00 to receive this new player which costs about ¼ what mine cost when purchased new, so my very serious damage claim goes completely unresolved with Sony Corporation of America.
16. I have tried numerous times in many ways to contact Ms. Nicole Seligman as well as SonyListens@amSony.com, and no one has answered my emails. I attempted to speak to Jacqueline, who is Robert’s manager, and was told Jacqueline does not speak to Sony customers. I absolutely do not understand how any company can damage a customer’s property and not be responsible for the damage, but unless I agree to pay an additional $900.00 for this “exchange”, I now have a damaged player that truly is worthless on the open market, as who would wish to purchase an SCD-1 with dents in the top of it and scratches on the side, no one!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Sony Laredo Texas Repair Facility
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Have just spent 7mths renovating our house purchased a Miele clean steel dishwasher, this week my cabinet maker installed all our appliances that had been stored together hot plate, oven,..."
- "The hood cracked and then literally started melting... why would a product intended for heating food melt!!!? What a scam. ..."
- "Hearthware has redesigned a new "Power Dome" that they say will withstand the temperature of the oven (why they would have designed a dome that doesn't withstand the heat, nobody..."
- "Agreed upon $1,200 deal to col-lab with artist Lil' Scrappy. 50% up front and 50% later. Artist refused to collab on a track due that we had ready because the..."
- "None of what i was promised before payment was even close to what I recieved. Most of these listings were just pulled from other websites. Free websites. Please contact me..."
- "I CAME TO THIS STORE - Address: 7087 Highway 70 S, Bellevue, TN 37221- FOR THE FIRST TIME ON 02/25/2016. OUT OF THE ITEMS I PURCHASED, THE THREE..."
- "I now deeply regret not having checked first with the BBB in South Florida prior to doing business with City Furniture. Turns out the BBB has over 300 unresolved complaints..."
- "i trusted a friend and signed up, within 20 minutes of making my first order i called in because i wanted to cancel it, i didn't notice that there was..."
- "I order a Dallas Cowboy Decanter Set in July or beginning of August, they stated it will be shipped. After about a week or 2 I called because I didn't..."