In December of 2009 I purchased a Sony Vaio Laptop for my daughter to use in college. Cost of laptop was $697.11, wasn't a cheap one. On September 23, 2010 (9 months later) the hard drive crashed. The computer has a 12 months parts and labor warranty. The problem with the hard drive was determined by a reputable computer company in Starkville, Ms where my daughter attends the university. I contacted Sony on that date and advised them of the problem. I was told that they would ship out a replacement hard drive within 2 to 3 days and I should receive it within 10 to 14 days. I asked if I could pay for expedited shipping since may daughter had a lot of research and other documents for school on the old hard drive that she needed badly and the technician installing the new drive was going to try to salvage the data. The answer was no they could not ship the part in any other manner.

On 10/06/10, when the hard drive had not been received from Sony, I called them again. I was advised that they had conducted some sort of software upgrade on their own business system and that the hard drive had not yet been shipped. Again I was told it would be shipped in 2-3 days with a delivery time of 10-14 days. I went up the ladder through three supervisors before I finally received a commitment of a delivery time of 5 to 7 days.

On 10-12-10, when the hard drive had still not been received I called Sony back a third time to get a tracking number on the part. I was told eventually told some 25 minutes into the call (most of which was on hold) that technical support could not provide the tracking number they would have to transfer me. Finally 33.21 minutes into the call an employee answered the phone and advised me that the hard drive had still not been shipped. I admit I went ballistic. It should also be noted that Sony had not contacted me back either time to advise the hard drive would not be shipped... just left us hanging. So now almost 1 month later and further into the semester my daughter still cannot use her computer because Sony cannot complete a simply task of shipping a hard drive that is covered under warranty.

I will never purchase another Sony product of any kind because of the customer service experience. Any company can have a defective part or product. What separates the good companies from the bad is what they about it. Sony Customer Service is without a doubt the worst I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Had an Experience with Sony?

Comments